Minutes of today’s Skype Call towards Firenze 10+10 (please spread it widely)
Joining forces for another Europe
Towards Firenze 10 + 10
The social movements, networks and citizens’ campaigns response to the economic, social, environmental and democratic crises, for the construction of a Europe based on Commons and social rights.
14–16 September 2012
Palazzo Reale, Piazza del Duomo 12
14 September – First Day
9:30am – 4pm: Joint Social Conference meeting
Welcoming of participants and coffee break
5pm Opening session – Intro by the Organising Committee for Firenze 10+10
“What is Firenze 10+10?”: sharing visions & joining forces
5.30pm Discussion starters: context, contents, methods, actors.
“Tools” and “vocabulary”
15 September – Second day
9.30am Presentation: building blocks for Firenze 10+10
10am “European networks and campaigns proposals: priorities and themes”
Existing alliances and common frameworks
How to involve other networks and actors
11.30am Coffee Break
11.45 Plenary debate
1pm Lunch Break
2pm “A Public Space for common strategies: how to organise the convergences”
4.30pm Coffee Break
5pm Public event: “Joining forces for another Europe – citizens’ and movements’ responses to the European policies on crisis, debt, democracy”
16 September – Third Day
9.30am Welcome / Coffee
10am “Concrete proposals for common actions: what to launch in Firenze 10+10”
Debate and conclusions
Florence 10+10: proposals from the European networks and campaigns
“Firenze 10+10” is becoming an attractive event thanks to several European processes that are the results of a common strategy and work among different actors and convergences of local/national networks on European scale.
To summarize the main proposals which we are aware of:
1. The European Water Network has decided (in the Brussels meeting of 15th July) to realize the first European Water Movements Assembly in Florence 10+10, and it could foresee an initiative on the Commons.
Contact person(s): Tommaso Fattori [firstname.lastname@example.org] –
2. The process of “Alter summit” (born in the context of Joint Social Conference and the Labour and globalization network) will start within the conference of Florence 10+10, as decided in Brussels, on the 29th of July. The idea is to build a three days initiative conference, which will mobilize networks and resources on the issues of: Alternatives to Europe’s austerity and defence of labour and democracy. On the 11/11 launch of AlterSummit. Ideas for seminars on several themes:
- 1. Against austerity, the Tax Compact and memoranda (P. Khalfa – email@example.com)
- 2. Court debt (Th Coutrot – firstname.lastname@example.org / M. Bourgy – email@example.com)
- 3. Labour Law (A. Della Vecchia – firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 4. Water as a common good (Pablo Sanchez – email@example.com)
- 5. Alternative financing to socially and environmentally useful jobs
- (F. Boccara – firstname.lastname@example.org; F. Carminati – email@example.com)
Contact person: Felipe Van Keirsbilck [firstname.lastname@example.org@altersummit.eu ]
3. Also the process called “Another road for Europe” (started by Italian campaign Sbilanciamoci, and il Manifesto and Open Democracy) has decided, right after the assembly of the 28th June in the European Parliament, to build a second step in Florence 10+10, putting as core theme the proposals for an alternative way of economic and social Europe and its democratic approaches.
Contact person: Mario Pianta [email@example.com]
4. The campaigns and networks working on the Debt issue (audit of the debt, deconstruction of austerity policies, etc) are also coming together: the idea is to work on a set of initiatives and the creation of an “International tribunal against debt and austerity”, to be held in Florence 10+10. The following organisations are involved: CADTM&ICAN network, Attac France, Jubilee Debt Campaign UK and European Alternatives. On the italian side, there are four groups working on this issue (RID, SID, Attac Italy and Re:common).
Contact person (in Italy): Roberto Errico [firstname.lastname@example.org]
5. TNI/CEO group might prepare an initiative in Florence, on Corporate Europe, as further step after the conference realized in May in Brussels (http://www.corporateeurope.org/eu-crisis-conference) or this could be part of the Alter summit… In any case, both organisation are involved in the preparation of Florence 10+10.
Contact person: Brid Brennan (TNI), Kenneth Haar (CEO) – email@example.com
6 There is a strong interest on the issue of Democracy in Europe from many networks such as Attac, Transform Europe, European Alternatives, European Federalist movement and others. The call “A Democratic rupture for Europe” asks for an Assembly in Florence, after a series of meetings and collaborative construction of a European democratic reform proposal.
Contact person: Franco Russo [firstname.lastname@example.org], Transform Italia / Osservatorio Europa
7. The network of the European Federalist Movement is proposing to launch their ECI (European citizens initiative) on the “european plan for socially and ecologically sustainable development financed with the Financial Transaction Tax and the Carbon Tax”
Contact person: Grazia Borgna [email@example.com]
8. The Economistes Atterrées are preparing a proposal on the issues related to the financial crisis in Europe. Connecting to this is an initiative by a group of critical political economists who is proposing a session on how to facilitate the dialogue between critical/radical scholars and social movements, i.e. how to leave the ivory tower of the academia and engage with resistance, and vice versa
Contact person: Mireille Bruyere [Mireille.Bruyere@univ-tlse1.fr]
Angela Wigger [firstname.lastname@example.org@fm.ru.nl ]
9. After the Frankfurt Blockupy in May (16-19), the Occupy, M15 and other “indignados” are preparing various types of demonstrations and actions in October (see for eg. Occupy Fake Democracy in Strasburg [http://www.occupyfakedemocracy.org/]– and a meeting in Madrid from the 1st to the 4th of November [Agora99 – http://www.99agora.net] which could be connected to Florence 10+10. Proposals for what to organise in Florence are being discussed.
Contact person: Mariangela [email@example.com]
Web to collect proposals from Occupy/15M http://titanpad.com/4jprEmuljb
10.The network reunited in Nantes for the Forum against useless infrastructures have proposed to relaunch their issues in Florence after the one of Nantes. They put it in their final declaration.
Contact person: Tiziano Cardosi [firstname.lastname@example.org]
– The network of east europe organizations such as the Subversive Forum (Croazia), the hungarian and greek movements, have still not expressed a specific issue, surely there will be the issue of the impact of the crisis on the political, economic and social rights.
– The organizations that have worked on Rio +20, are proposing to work on the issue of financialization of nature and resources. Many are working on that such as Re Common and will present their proposals at the beginning of September.
Contact person: Caterina Amicucci, Re: Common […]
– Students (Florence Students of the Left, Union of students, LINK, Rete della conoscenza, etc) would like to have a day long assembly dedicated to the issues of knowledge, education, research, training etc.
Contact person: …..
– The European network of Solidarity Economy(RIPESS), accumulating through various events that will take place between setpember and october (Venezia / Degrowth; Milan / Urgenci), should be presenting something on alternative forms of economy
– The EFI – IFE- European Feminist Initiative – is involving various feminist organisations around Europe.
– The IAI – International Alliance of Inhabitants on the issue of home, after the presence in the urban forum in naples in September, that could involve also Unione inquilini and Zero Sfratti).
– The Italian UISP should organize the edition of World antiracist football championship and similar initiatives.
Contact person: Raffaella Chiodo [email@example.com]
– The net of Alternative Trade Mandate on the issue of the Business policies of the EU and the bilateral agreements on different countries (particularly the Mediterranean areas)
Contact person: Nina Sachau [firstname.lastname@example.org]
– The Sblocchiamoli campaign on the intellectual property rights and the fight on ACTA.
– The Italian network of NGOs is trying to bring CONCORDE (the European NGO network) in order to discuss the issue of international cooperation of the EU (Italy will have the first forum on int coop in September)
– The European Financialization of Nature Network is also proposing to organize an activity perhaps and take part in convergence moments