INTERNATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE 14N
CALL TO ACTION
Puerta Del Sol Economics Assembly
Tuesday, November, 6, 2012
The Puerta Del Sol Economics Assembly is calling for the mobilization for the General Strike on November 14th to become a decisive social response to the oppression of an unjust system at the service of capital.
Business and political forces and the mainstream media that cover them want to convince us that a general strike is not necessary at this time. From their perspective the crisis is a disgrace without direct blame, except that people have lived beyond their means. They claim that this is an illegitimate strike because it is a political strike, when in fact all strikes are political. It is a way of citizens to exercise their political rights, by unequivocally denouncing those responsible for the situation in which we find ourselves. Furthermore, we argue that there are more than enough chronic arguments to justify such a strike:
- Because, for years salaries have decreased while business profits have risen.
- Because, the banks and the wealthy elite are protected while the wage earners and general population become poorer.
- Because, big companies and those with large fortunes pay less in taxes than small businesses or wage earners.
- Because, enormous taxes hikes have been imposed on the people while the Spanish government has granted a tax amnesty for those who have defrauded the government.
- Because, instead of raising taxes on the wealthy and large corporations, cuts have been imposed on social requirements like education and national health.
- Because, they have used the crisis to impose labor “reform” that destroys workers rights, thus creating more misery and inequality.
- Because, thousands of families are left in the street without housing while banks are allowed to pursue mortgage debts from one generation to the next.
- Because, we are saving the banks that have directly benefited from speculation at the cost of assuming a debt that is not ours and that will enslave several generations of Spaniards.
- Because, the boards of directors of the bankrupt commercial banks, savings banks and estate realators have continued receiving “earnings” and their pre-retirement bonuses intact, while public employees have had wages garnered and unemployment benefits are further reduced into even greater misery.
- Because, the government reforms and cuts only serve to drive the people into further misery and fear, blocking consumption and economic activity, which in turn ruin merchants, freelancers and small business owners. This strike is not against them, it is in their interests and should involve them.
The crisis and its inequalities are not limited to workers alone. Our struggle is not only at places of work. The unemployed, the retired, students, merchants, all sectors of society are committed to preserving the few hard-won rights that took so many years to achieve and expand on.
On the 14th we will unite with the people of southern Europe, because the oppression is global and our response must be as well.
14N: NO WORK – NO COMMERCE
Faced with the goal of maximum participation in the strike, it will be necessary to inform people of its objectives through massive information dissemination to all assemblies, collectives, and affinity groups days prior to the strike. On the part of the Sol Economics Assembly, information brigades will circulate throughout the streets, centers of transportation and business districts to distribute fliers, which are offered here for further use by allies:
Folleto HUELGA GENERAL 14N (PDF): https://n-1.cc/file/view/1506522/folleto-huelga-general-14-noviembre-pdfFolleto
HUEGA GENERAL 14N (DOC): https://n-1.cc/file/view/1506526/folleto-huelga-general-14-noviembre-doc
We also support the following mobilizations called for November 14:
- Demonstration 14N, called by the Bloque Unitario: 18:00 hr, Plaza Beata (Legazpi) – Neptuno
- Rally 14N, called by the working group of the Asamble Popular de Lavapiés: encircle the CEOE (19:30 Cibeles – CEOE HQ)
- 15N: the struggle continues – Demonstration called by the Bloque Unitario: 19:00 hrs Sol – Cibeles – Neptuno
Another world is possible through resistance,
International General Strike