In the light of the discussion on this list, here is an invitation to an assembly in the streets of Florence, a proposal that came out of the Agora99 meeting in Madrid we had last weekend (see detailed notes below the call). This is an open proposal, and everyone is invited to help organizing the assembly. Personally I’m curious to see how this will work out. Could this be a moment to exchange on the various debates and proposals of Firenze10+10 together and with the people outside? Or a moment to publicly present our misunderstanding, disagreement,incompatibility, etc. In any case I think it can be an experience that contributes to the ongoing discussions on organising our events and struggles.
Looking forward to meet you!
ps. I just arrived in Firenze, I will try to check my mail regularly, but my phone is: +31 6 833 247 84
OccupyFirenze99: Assembly in Florence on saturday 10th of november 2012
(Available in Italiano/English/Francais/Castellano at http://occupyfirenze99.wordpress.com/)
After the experiences of Puerta del Sol and Occupy all around the world, including the Italian squares of Florence, Rome and Bologna, people from international movements of Occupy/15M will meet in Florence, where the “Firenze 10+10” will take place to share practices, experiences and alternatives.
Participants from the assemblies of Occupy London, Occupy Netherlands, Spanish 15M, Agora Roma, invite you all to Firenze on saturday 10th November 2012, at 6 p.m., in a square that will be soon communicated.
In this occasion, the movement will present itself, with its practices and contents.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s all meet in Florence! Everyone is invited to ACTIVELY join in!!
P.S. If you are willing to help us for diffusion, invite as many people as you can to the event.
Notes about Firenze from the meeting in Agora99, Madrid, 1-4 nov 2012
On 5-11-12 Daniel Seco wrote:
Hi, here we go with my notes from the meetings these days.
Pleasure to spend these days with you people!
Notes on the first meeting (Beyond Agora 99, section on Social Forums). We talked about the message to transmit to the social forums:
– We need to open the process to a broader spectrum of participants, to individuals instead of organizations, not only to activists but to inhabitants of the place and other individuals, to non-professionals.
– We need to finish with the vision of experts and leaders informing an audience of listeners, open the debate for participation of the people present in each workshop.
– We need a more horizontal decision process, to focus on problems and solutions and sharing this knowledge, to promote the reproductivity and viral expansion of actions, and to promote initiatives that don’t need good economic conditions to work finely (self-management, easy to copy and non-dependence on NGOs public funding).
– We need to radicalize and strengthen both our positions against the current system (economic, political…) and the democratic character of our methodologies.
Meeting on 4th Nov on the organization of the assembly:
1. The Assembly.
The basic proposal is, on the line proposed already at the Milan meeting, to have an assembly outside of Fortezza da Basso, with the place to be decided in common with people from Florenc e. We are suggesting as a possibility the square of Santa Maria Novella.
The Assembly will take place at 6 pm on Saturday, the 10th of November.
It is pointed out the importance of meeting outside even if it rains, to proof a point about approaching citizens, avoiding for them to have to pay the 20 euro inscription in order to join the assembly.
Proposed facilitation: Whoever wants may join a team of volunteers including Vica, Viviana, Piran and Dani. It is required to have at least 6 people in the facilitating team, with the following roles:
– 1 Moderator and 2 facilitators that will rotate in turns.
– 2 people taking word turns.
– 1 person writing acta.
Facilitators manage future speakers and not moderator, which should concentrate on managing the current conversation.
We will make use of all the traditions in methodology that characterize our movements, such as the use of gestures for communication, the promotion of respect, openness, horizontality. We don’t think that the purpose is to build any manifesto but rather to show real experience of alternatives, self-management and economic alternatives (such as, for instance, cooperativism).
We aim at finding people that may provide those experiences although participation will be, of course fully open, but we don’t want to have an empty set of experiences to talk about. We think about inviting people that participate in such experiences in the occupied spaces or neighbourhood assemblies of the 15m movement or other.
We propose an assembly consisting on three parts:
– One first part about experience and practice from movements and initiatives.
– A second part to talk about alternatives for everyday life that may arise from the experiences shared.
– A third point to open a space for general discussion that could be working with division in smaller groups following whatever topic the participants feel need to be treated, using an Open Space Methodology.
It is observed that we have to focus on citizens and individuals but not close the door to professionals and participants of the forum that may be linked to organizations. Moreover, we will promote a non-confrontational profile towards the rest of the Forum on this point, trying to convince by example and not to create a firewall between the two visions.
It is pointed out the difficulty of the timeframe we have to observe impose for a small group to be dedicated exclusively to the organization of the assembly all through the forum.
It is also noticed the way in which the movements like ours are observed by the Forum but without using our practices and methodologies.
We also want to focus on the difference between consensus and majority decisions and to make an educating experience for the participants, given their possible lack of previous experience with the assembleary methods.
We need a Plan B in case of rain or any other difficulty (in terms of a space to run the assembly). It is clarified that we renounce to take part in the other proposed assembly that seems to ignore our proposals anyway.
It is announced that other groups are organizing self-managed events within the ESF for Friday, about the practice of direct democracy. We think this is a positive fact and we need to have it in mind to foster collaboration between the two processes.
It is finally signaled that, in terms of goals for the assembly, we shouldn’t focus on the number of participants but rather on showing clearly the message to those interested. We also want to be in the streets to inspire our vision of reproductivity of models rather than organizing spectacular actions.
2. Organization and communication.
There will be a next meeting to prepare the assembly with whoever wants to join, at the beginning of the ESF. It is proposed for this meeting to be held at the main entrance to the Fortezza da Basso (outside), on Thursday the 8th of November at 8 pm, to allow a few hours to meet participants of the ESF that may be interested on joining the organizing team.
Different people agree to assume the work on:
– Communication tools (a mailing list and an invitation to join, Mariangela will take care of including people on it and writing the invitation).
– Linking with the Florence local groups, to which we will ask for minor infrastructure for the assembly, maybe a few ”megafonos” (don’t know that word in English, I mean a hand speaker, Chiara and Rossella will take care of this links).
– Linking with the ESF and WSF and further developing the content of the message that we want to transmit to the forums (Jasper and Orsan will be involved in this).
– As already mentioned, the organization of the assembly (Vica, Viviana, Piran and Dani).
Of course, as we are a small team, we will all help in all necessary tasks, and will encourage others to join.
We exchange emails and phone numbers. If anyone needs to reach anyone in particular via phone, I have the telephones of everyone. Daniel +34 617511729. I think this is a better idea than sending the list of phones to open lists.
PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS ON CONTINUITY AND SCOPE
This HASN’T been talked at any of the meetings but they are different ideas that come from conversations between some of us (Orsan, Jasper, me) and I think they may be worth expressing.
– It would be nice to have a meeting with WSF organizers in Florence (they will be there) to express our concerns to them and propose them an extension of our methodology to their process.
– It is desired by several of us to establish a group to take the same messages to other Forums, before the end of Firenze (forums like the Palestine WSF and the WSF2013).
– A possible goal for the future (although probably too ambitious now) could be to show the methodology that we propose by assuming the responsibility of organizing a future social forum (to have it organized collaboratively by participants of social movements).
– It is also desirable to plan with more time for the future.